Want to gain first-hand work experience in a German company?
Come to Mittelhessen – the strong industrial region just north of Frankfurt/Main.
The partner companies of our dual study programme offer exchange students placements in Business Administration, Mechanical and Electrical Engineering, Informatics and Civil Engineering/ Architecture. The work placements are accredited modules of StudiumPlus and participants will be enrolled as exchange students of StudiumPlus and THM (Technische Hochschule Mittelhessen University of Applied Sciences). Following an intensive German language course, that will also help settle into life in Germany, participants will work full-time in our partner companies.
What you do
- Work full-time within a team on projects in one of our partner companies. A university professor and a company supervisor support you.
- Intensive German language course for 4 weeks in September to get you started
When you do it
- September to December: September = langue course, October – December full-time placement
- Your degree demands a longer obligatory placement? Ask us! Extensions for degree-embedded placements are possible.
- You can’t do September to December, but have a good German level? Ask us! We can’t promise, but we can check alternative times for you (without language course and THM enrollment).
What you earn and gain
- Salary € 600 per placement month
- up to 24 ECTS (placement: write a project report and present it 20 ECTS; language course 4 ECTS)
- up to 32 ECTS for extended obligatory placements of 20 weeks or more
- Enrolment as a full-time exchange student of THM
- Join the Buddy Programme to facilitate intercultural exchange and to get support for your start in Germany
- Enjoy free public transport in the greater Rhine-Main region (RMV)
- The programme can be combined consecutively with an international semester at THM. For more information visit go.thm.de/thinc.
Before applying, check you fulfill the following aspects:
- Enrolment as a full-time student at a (future) partner university of THM during the EIEM programme. Please note, that due to German legislation participation is NOT POSSIBLE without student status at your home university for the entire time of your stay! While at THM you will additionally be enrolled as an exchange student of THM.
- Participants from non-EU/Erasmus+ -universities need to get confirmation of the compulsory character of the placement by the sending institution within the work permit application process (coordinated by EIEM)
- German language level A2 or higher
- English language level B2 or higher
- Participation in the International Summer Course Gießen (an intensive German language course - see below)
How to apply
Application for Wintersemester 2018/19 (continuiously updated):
Please find profiles of our partner companies and the placements they offer below:
|Partner Company Profiles|| Business
|Mechanical Engineering|| Electrical
|Christmann & Pfeifer Construction GmbH & Co. KG||x|
|Elkamet Kunststofftechnik GmbH||x||x||x|
|RITTAL GmbH & Co. KG||x||x||x|
|Viessmann Werke GmbH & Co. KG||x||x||x||x|
Application (Deadline 31st March 2018) must include:
- Application form
- Letter of motivation in English and German
- CV in English and German
- Transcript of records
- Language certificates for English and German (Please ask a lecturer of your home university to fill in the form provided here)
Applications are only accepted as one PDF document with a max. size of 3 MB.
To join the programme you need to take part in the International Summer Course of Justus-Liebig-University in Gießen in September:
- Costs for students of partner universities: € 430 (You need to pay the course in advance, the company will reimburse this fee during the placement)
- Accommodation in student halls of residence, rates vary
- 4 ECTS can be gained
Depending on the location of the company you will be assigned to, you can
- stay in student halls of residence in Gießen or Friedberg and travel on local transport
- receive help from your placement company to find appropriate accommodation nearby
Please be aware of the following costs and income linked to the programme
- € 600 per placement month (Please note, voluntary placements which are not embedded in the curriculum of your degree are subject to German social insurance contribution)
- Semester social fee: approx. € 220 (due prior to enrolment)
- International Summer Course Gießen: € 430 for partner universities (You need to pay the course in advance, the company will reimburse this fee during the placement)
- Cost of living including accomodation
Do check if your home university will support you with an Erasmus+ scholarship for Traineeship or Study – both are possible due to the EIEM double role of intern and enrolled exchange student.
Cost of Living: Mittelhessen is less expensive than cities such as Frankfurt. Estimates and information on costs of living in Germany can be found on the website of the THM International Office or on the website of the DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service)
Disclaimer: The purpose of these pages is to provide you with information on important legal questions. However, the authors make no claim to completeness. Although this information has been prepared with the greatest of care, we assume no liability for the correctness of the content provided here.
Students joining EIEM from a university that is not part of the ERASMUS+ programme, need a work placement admission to apply for their visa. The process will be taken care of by EIEM coordinators. However, it can only be successful with the confirmation of the compulsory character of the internship on a certificate of enrolment which we will provide you with. With the work placement admission you can than apply for your visa depending on the regulations valid for your country.
The International Office of THM has put together some general information in visa regulations. Please visit https://www.thm.de/site/en/international-en/incoming-englisch/residence-status.html
Testimonials & Project Examples
Praxis- und Projektphasen | Auslandssemester
06441 / 2041 - 224